Interesting Tidbits found Elsewhere

Vegoia
Level 3
Level 3

Interesting Tidbits found Elsewhere

Post by Vegoia » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Going through the Internet, various ideas tend to pop up in places we unlikely to suspect. They can arise fantastic thoughts and surprising coincidences when you notice them at the right time.

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;"><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>"IronBear"</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>This my quirky theory on Carnymancy & Charlie.

Step 1: Caster spends juice and casts spell
Step 2: Player of the Caster starts talking to the Storyteller and tries to make a deal.
-------During these negotiations the Player of the Caster is trying get something to happen that is out of the norm. The Storyteller wants to tell a good story. If the Player of the Caster can provide the ST with a good justification or good trade off that leads to a better story, the ST changes the game as negotiated.
-------Those who have played roleplaying games for a long time we have experienced it. A good ST is willing to make such changes
Step 3: The Storyteller changes his story/plans for the game. This is interperted in Erfworld as a change in Fate or magical effects brought about by a magical spell.

The typical caster is of course only vaguely aware of this negotiation. But as the caster in develops an awareness of what Fate wants he get ever more impressive changes to world in much the same way that a player experienced with his ST knows how him to get perks and custom stuff out of him better.

My hypothesis is that when Charlie coupled with the Arkendish, he basically cut out the middle man and found him self negotiating with the Storyteller directly. Think how disturbing that would be. The Creator and Maintainer of your world is only interested in the story. Individual lives are meanless to him. Their deaths, challenges, and suffering are entertainment for him and his divine allies and create a stage for heroics. And worst of all, this God wants a big flashy climax to his story. He wants to wrap things on and move on to his next Creation. And when he is done, only oblivion awaits you and your world. Would you not do what Charlie is doing? Try to keep the conflict going and try to keep the story interesting for the Creator (Note that Charlie consistently likes novelty though out the series, where as most other characters are disturbed by it). But you know that if this Creator realizes the character has subsumbed the player, he will do . . . something.

Step 1: Jojo casts Carnymancy
Step 2:
--- Jojo's Player: "Hey ST, I know you are planning to do something wild with those archentools. So, have you considered using Sylvia in that plot?"
--- ST: "I am still fleshing out the plot. But why would I use Sylvia? She is just a stabber. She only has a name because she is your character's love interest."
--- Jojo's Player: "Exactly&#33; Why promote a noname character to starring in that plot? If you use Sylvia then that whole plot will have a lot more meaning to my character."
--- ST: "You just want to save your love interest from death."
--- Jojo's Player: "I won't lie, I do want to save her. But that is the point of this class, I make deals with you. And no mater how you slice it, this makes for a better story."
--- ST: "You make sense, let me sleep on it and I will get back to you in a few days. Until I make my decision I we will put her in incapicitated status. Charge your character for the juice and your character has to stay with her. And I will not intercede for you if Bea's palyer decides to yank Jojo off bedside duty"
(A few turns later)
--- Jojo's Player: "What's your decision?"
--- ST: "I have some great ideas for her, consider it done. But there will be some requirements for this deal. For one she is going to have to take "Daredevil" flaw after this. Her brush with death is going to have a serious impact on her personality. Two, I don't want any complaints about what is coming to you, your side, and her. This deal is going to be a shit storm for your side. Your side is now Fated to fall in my plot. I need a side to be wiped out by my big bad and your side is now it."
--- Jojo's Player: "Hmmm, am I aware of this IC?"
--- ST: "Not really"
--- Jojo's Player: "Then my character would take the deal even though it means my character is going to die. I hate to boop over another player though."
--- ST: "Jojo will likely survive it. Ruler's usally send their casters to the Magic Kingdom if they lose a capital fight, and Uniroyal's fall is going to be very one-sided. As for Bea's player I am going to give her this really awesome Dollamancer concept I came up with. He is an agnsty and disgruntled bad ass. Great back story. And best of all she will likely end up working with Parson in my main plot."
--- Jojo's Player: "Awww, now I am kind of jealous."
--- ST: "No complaints&#33; I have plans for you also. *Insert ST evil laughter*"
Step 3: Jojo finishes his magic, and Sylvia wakes up healed.[/quote]</div>Theories from a Erfworld Forum Member