Drawing of the Line

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

Drawing of the Line

Post by Tav » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Hearing the noise, Dravlin twisted about, drawing his bladed staff from the ground. "Markus, what are you doing now?" He didn't see the beast, his eyesight being slightly worse than most. sometimes, he wondered exactly why nobody had taken the mercenary's crossbow from him; His first instinct was to shoot something.

That's probably why, the golem realized.

((Sorry for the short post))
Last edited by Tav on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Drawing of the Line

Post by 3kul » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 am

The beast cried out in surprise as the bolt shrieked past his ears. He had not suspected that one of the group would be away from the campfire, and thus was caught completely off-guard. He couldn't tell if that was a terrible shot by the hunter who fired on him or a warning shot, but he didn't want to stick around to find out... Unfortunately for him though, as a scout for the encampment, that was kind of his job.

"Don't shoot! I mean you no harm!" He bellowed, making his presence known. "I am Spinner, a scout from the nearby settlement. Some of our lookouts noticed a few unusual disturbances in this area, like your fire, and I was sent to investigate - my purpose here is to find out what your purpose here is, nothing more."

Spinner was not yet sure what to make of this group; given his appearance he was quite used to being mistaken for the 'local' fauna, and so although they attacked him first he was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. As far as he could tell they were all humanoid, at least one of whom was obviously some kind of hunter or survivalist. With his specialized eyesight seeing in the dark was not too difficult for him, but the others in the group were still too far away for him to get a decent look at them.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Drawing of the Line

Post by Swix » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 am

Upon hearing the high pitched shriek the woman in the black dress sat upright, staring at the point where the noise had gone off with her eyes narrowed. Other than that though, ES didn't move, as she really wasn't feeling very well right now nor up to a proper fight. But on the other hand, she'd rather not be taken by complete surprise and was quite confident she could handle most things if they got too close. But shortly after that whatever it was spoke up, supposedly it intended no harm and had just come to see what they were doing here.

ES didn't stop looking over at where the voice had come from though, no, best to see just what they were dealing with first. But she couldn't quite make it out in the dark. "Hey, Spinner!" she called over "why not come a bit closer to the fire then so we can see you, I don't like talking to things I can't see" 'It's far too familiar'

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Drawing of the Line

Post by Borg12345 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Markus was pleased with the result, and somewhat relieved there wouldn't be another fight on his hands. He was still wary of the creature that had called it self Spinner, and kept his crossbow trained on him as he approached, a fresh bolt loaded and ready to fly.

"Well, I'm glad you're not here to cause trouble." He said. "I'd hate to see a bolt like that go to waste..."

Markus considered the creature for a moment. He suspected Spinner really did mean no harm. He lowered the bow slightly.

"So you're from the encampment eh?" He inquired. "How are things there? Is Athena still in control?"

Markus had made no effort to disguise the poison that coated his mention of Athena. Whilst unusual, he had been run out of town before. He even had an entire nation after his head, but at least when it had happened there had been good reasons. Or at least understandable ones. So when Markus had genuinely helped the group, when he stuck out his neck for a bunch of people he didn't know for no real personal gain, he felt hurt that the stupid jumped up woman had taken the attackers side.
Markus tried to dispell his thoughts as he waited for an answer, least he end up saying things he'd rather not have reported back by this scout.

Laur
Level 3
Level 3

Drawing of the Line

Post by Laur » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:07 pm

"Mmmm"

Laur proceeded to do little more than emit a hum upon the encampment scouts reveal, bright blue eyes fixed upon the approximate location of this one Spinner. Even whilst her practiced hand instinctively rested upon the handle of her beloved gun, Laur deemed this was far too late. It was entirely plausible that she had not practiced sufficiently recently. She resolved to fix this oversight as soon as was possible.

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

Drawing of the Line

Post by Tav » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:09 am

"Greetings, good friend! Come sit by the fire with us." Dravlin said, waving blindly at where the voice had come from. "We actually planned to approach the very encampment you're scouting for, and take shelter from the oncoming war. I've heard that the encampment is taking a neutral stance on the entire affair; is that true?"

Assisted by his arcane voice, he was able to speak loud enough to be heard at this distance, without losing his pleasant tone.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Drawing of the Line

Post by 3kul » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:13 am

Spinner was curious to note that some of these strangers were much friendlier than others. At the very least, he was assured by their words and actions that his life was no longer in peril, which was the bare minimum that he'd hoped for. "Kahahaaa! It is as neutral as a very loose congregation of heroes and villians abducted from all over the multiverse could hope to be. Everybody has their own opinion; free will makes that much inevitable." Spinner replied, laughing. "Fortunately for the encampment, on such a small scale it all manages to balance itself out. It's all pretty civilized - some hold public debates, others hold public fights..." He hesitated for a moment, then added. "Well, the fights aren't civilized, but people still get a kick out of 'em."

He approached the fire without caution, feeling much more at ease now. In the light of the fire, Spinner did look quite the beast. Bigger and wider than a stock horse, he was covered in thick shaggy fur, from which six crustacean-like legs stuck out. Like a crab he had two pincers, but these were very small compared to the rest of him, more suited to cutting paper than anything else, really. His face was lost in all of the fur, but two glowing yellow eyes poked out.

"Now, as for who's in charge... Well, that's probably the only reason why some of us are thankful for all of this war business, serves for a good distraction from that hornet's nest." Spinner began, scratching what might be his chin with one pincer. "I don't know who Athena is, but she might be one of those claiming leadership. Thing is, there's a lot of people doing that these days, and we can't really decide who should be the king of the hole, so to speak." Spinner shook his head, sighing. "Politics. No matter where you go in the multiverse you can't escape it, like a bad case of shell rot."

((EDIT: To clarify, this post is just my best guess at what the current leadership situation in the encampment might be like; if you feel that it should be otherwise please let me know and I'll change my post accordingly.))
Last edited by 3kul on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Drawing of the Line

Post by Swix » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm

ES simply looked at the giant, furry crustacean like creature, eventually shrugging it off as not the weirdest thing she'd ever seen. She also regretted shrugging, since it sent another twinge of pain through her body, causing her to wince and put her opposite hand on her bandaged shoulder.

"Pffft, politics" she eventually said "everywhere you go in the multiverse there's always someone wanting to run their mouth for the 'group'. Just throw 'em out in this wilderness for a week and then you'll have a leader" ES didn't understand politics or like it, and it didn't seem her view about it would cause her any trouble. So she wasn't all that cautious about revealing it. Seemed everyone around here was distracted in some way-it was the perfect time for her to drop in.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Drawing of the Line

Post by Borg12345 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Markus was very pleased to hear this. People were vying for power, this meant there were jobs a-plenty for him. Doing nothing to hide the smile across his face, Markus said:

"Well then, I think someone who supplies my kind of... services would do very well there right now."

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Drawing of the Line

Post by 3kul » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:16 pm

"Well, that's part of the problem, miss." Spinner replied to Swix, pleased to see somebody here who shared his disdain for meaningless powerplays. "Some people see 'leadership' as 'protection'; that's how a bad-tempered, mostly anti-social dragon like Furnace gets so much support for these things. From what little I know of him I doubt he's interested in being in charge, but a lot of folks are keen to make sure that he sticks around the encampment simply because his mere presence tends to scare off most of the 'local wildlife'."

He pulled a half-eaten fish out from his long shaggy fur - leftovers from the dinner that he was enjoying before being asked to go scout out this group - and crunched on it noisily as he continued talking. "Most of the more popular candidates have already proven their worth, or they just don't need to." He added, spitting a few flecks of meat, bone and scales into the fire as he spoke. "This place... it's got a weird way about it. Doesn't often pull in folk incapable of defending themselves, some folk say that's its way of makin' sure people survive long enough to colonize the place. Look at yourselves; what are the odds that a group like this would ever come together randomly?"

He gestured to each of them with a claw, then finally settled on Markus. "From the way you shoot that crossbow I'd wager you aren't lookin' to be a campaign manager..." Spinner replied to the hunter, still not entirely sure what to make of him. "You'll find that your not alone in your way of thinkin'. The encampment has all sorts of interesting people." He chuckled to himself as though he'd just told a funny joke, then crunched down the last of his fish.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

Drawing of the Line

Post by Swix » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm

ES actually rolled her eyes at the 'miss' comment, though she waited for Spinmer to finish before she waved the uninjured arm dismissively. "Oh for the love of... I'm Swix, that's Markus, that's Dravlin and that's Laur" she pointed to each of them in turn. "Now we're all introduced and no-one's going to stab anyone, or call me miss again, I'm going to sleep now. Night" ES resumed her lying down position with her arm pillowed under her head, back towards the flamer, and closed her eyes, though she had one last piece of advice for the group "Touch me when I'm sleeping and I can't be responsible for what happens to you" she told them ominously, and began trying to lose consciousness.

((Just to clarify that I'm not writing ES out. She'll get up in the morning with everyone else :P))
Last edited by Swix on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Drawing of the Line

Post by 3kul » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:22 pm

"Hrm, it's good to be able to put names to faces." Spinner mumbled, a little put-off by Swix's abrupt response. It was only once she mentioned going to sleep that he realized how late it was, and how weary these travellers probably were. "I guess you'll all be going to sleep then? I'll just keep watch from a distance, don't mind me."

He lumbered off into the tall grass a short ways, then turned back to face the group. His unblinking yellow eyes weren't staring out into the distance, but back towards the fire. It seemed that when Spinner had said 'keep watch' what he actually meant was 'keep watching you'. Although their intentions did not appear to be sinister Spinner knew better than to trust such an unusual group straight away.

((Let's hope nobody minds a giant crab monster watching them sleep :D ))
Last edited by 3kul on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Drawing of the Line

Post by Borg12345 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 am

Markus wasn't best pleased with the creature watching him sleep, but what could he do? He set about preparing the meat he'd caught, getting it ready to cook as the others dozed off. When he was quite satisfied, he wrapped up the meat, tied it together, and settled down to sleep.

"That'd better still be there when I wake up..." He mumbled as his mind drifted away.

Laur
Level 3
Level 3

Drawing of the Line

Post by Laur » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 pm

"Rest seems to be an appropriate idea"

Laur commented upon the odd groups desire to sleep. The Mutant proceeded to lay upon her back, her piercing gaze fixed upon the planet blotting out the sparkling points that were stars.

Resting would seem to be her goal, however Laur doubted her capacity for sleep this night. The day had been too shocking for her body to willingly abandon it's buzz.

Even so, there remained no harm in trying.
Last edited by Laur on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

Drawing of the Line

Post by Tav » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm

"Sleep well, Friends." Dravlin said, looking about as everyone unanimously and spontaneously decided to sleep. He knelt onto one knee, his hand upon his staff, and his mind drifted off into sleep.