The Games Thread

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 am

I must say I'll probably give a "kill 'em all" run a go. If anything the game does seem to be more geared towards that, sadly. :/

EDIT: Also, I just finished a game called 52. It's a very short, free game and... wow. Just... wow.

It's not cheery.
Last edited by Borg12345 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Wow, here's a very touching interview with Peter Molyneux: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/22/interview-peter-molyneux-on-curiositys-failings-godus/

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I like the guy so much. Keep on dreaming, man!

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

The Games Thread

Post by Swix » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Star Citizen has raised $6,258,562, WAY over even their stretch goal of $5 million. I'm s6 excited. I haven't been this excited over an upcoming PC exclusive game for a loooong time.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:22 am

I bought into the alpha build for Prison Architect, a prison management game from Introversion. It's looking to be a very pointed message, just like Defcon, and that's why I think these guys are great. They never shy away from difficult subjects.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

EDIT: I must say, I'm looking forward to Star Citizen, especially after I heard it was from the same guys who brought us Freelancer. :D I'm very pleased to see it doing so well with funding, and I hope the game fills the space flight sim shaped hole in my life. :D

Edit the second: Although come on guys, joystick support this time, eh? :P
Last edited by Borg12345 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Yet more kickstarter news (sorry :P)!

I've also backed Maia, which in a nutshell is a sci-fi dungeon keeper. It's looking pretty cool so far but it's gonna be very close as to whether they make it or not! D:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia
Last edited by Borg12345 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

The Games Thread

Post by Tav » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Well, I recently beat Dark Souls. And... well... It killed me. The final fight really tugged on my heartstrings.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm posting this again! :P

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

It's really looking like Godus might not make it, any and all would be greatly appreciated and needed! If you're interested in a new god game from the father of god games, or know anyone who would be, please help out!

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

The Games Thread

Post by Swix » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:42 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Tav</dt><dd>Nov 27 2012, 06:52 PM</dd></dl><div>Well, I recently beat Dark Souls. And... well... It killed me. The final fight really tugged on my heartstrings.[/quote]... You did? How??? (although please don't tell me the plot or at least put it in spoilers if you want to tell us about It ;)) I'm still trying to get through the damn thing. It's awesome but it's really testing my patience now.

Was trying to get through Anor Londo earlier and managed to get myself stuck inside the Painted World of Ariamis with no humanity, twelve arrows and only fourteen clumps of blooming purple moss... and no way to get back out again. I'm still there actually XD.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh man, speaking of Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 is a thing&#33; And it's getting a PC release from the start so Dark Souls must have sold enough to warrant it, which is encouraging. :D

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

The Games Thread

Post by Swix » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Well that's a good thing. Now they can work on the PC controls at the start rather than trying to retrofit :P.

I've only heard rumours about it though. Is it a direct sequel then?
Last edited by Swix on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

The Games Thread

Post by Borg12345 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 am

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/08/prepare-to-die-again-dark-souls-ii-announced/

That's where I found out, however the trailer seems to have been removed because publishers have gone insane and have decided that people giving you free advertising is WRONG&#33; EVIL AND WRONG&#33; *facepalm*

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

The Games Thread

Post by Tav » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:57 am

Well, I beat it mostly by raw tenacity and getting *real* damn lucky and killing a black knight in the first area of the game, getting his equipment. Since then I'd kind of coasted by using the largest sword ever owned by man. Then I found even bigger swords, and bigger. And then a greataxe once, before moving on to bigger swords.
Basically, I'd gotten one that would've given Cloud from FF7 sword-envy, and got really good at timing my sluggish blows.

Also, if you can run through the painted world right, you can actually skip the (optional) boss and leave the area, never to return, though it won't be very easy if you're not ready. Easier than trying to clear it like I did, though.

The end really tugged on my heartstrings because it was so silent for an entire area, as you're walking through dunes of ash, all but empty save for the howling wind and the occasional enemy, long standing vigil for a thousand years. When you reach the final boss, the theme is just a simple, single piano.

A requiem.

To completely spoil the mood, Dark Souls 2? That's awesome&#33;
Last edited by Tav on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

The Games Thread

Post by Swix » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Lol sword-envy of Cloud. I'd like to see that sword XD.

Hmm, well, my character is a dexterity build... so I could probably run through it... Maybe... Would it be worth my equipping the stuff I used in Blighttown? Spider shield and Poisonbite Ring? I just wasn't really expecting to get pulled into the painting XD.

Tav
Founder
Founder
Level 9
Level 9

The Games Thread

Post by Tav » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 am

Something that surprisingly helps against toxin is this- get poisoned. When you're poisoned, you actually can't get infected with toxin at all. So you only take the less severe damage.
Last edited by Tav on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swix
Level 18
Level 18

The Games Thread

Post by Swix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 am

Soooo, I just gave Endless Space a go earlier. It's uhhh, well, it's a space strategy sim game that kind of reminds me of Galactic Civilization.

You select your galaxy type, age, size, type of stars, Faction, how many and what other Factions are in the galaxy with you, and the difficulty level when starting a new game. That then generates a random map to your specifications. You start off on a planet type that your Faction originally came from, for example a Jungle or an Ocean, get given one scout ship and one colony ship, and that's it. Time to explore, colonize, and conquer the galaxy. The planet type your chosen species evolved on is the only colonisable planet type from the get-go, so no matter how many star systems your little scout ship manages to reach it's a pretty safe bet that there will only be very few ones you can get to near the beginning to colonise. Then there's the standard, colonise other star systems to grow your territory, build ships, improve the colonies, research technologies to help make your kind more powerful. Research is on a tech tree with four different specialties, so if there's a tech you particularly want you'll have to research previous ones before you can get to that. You can also hire Heroes to command fleets or be put in charge of colonies, that grant bonuses, level up and require Dust to maintain, which is the universal currency. Now they were kind of cool-they even have their own backstories. There's also the diplomacy element and the ship battles are actually fully animated if you choose manual participation, with their own element of strategy. There are even pirates who aren't affiliated with anyone and harrass everyone.

But there's something missing... I usually love this sort of game but I gotta say, I was soon bored.

Maybe it's the fact that the ship battles are always exactly the same no matter what card you play in the three turns you get, or how effective or weak it is depending on what your opponent picked. Putting up a shield looks no different than overloading all the weapons on your ships, and why both fleets were taking damage when on was repairing itself and the other had put it's shields up I will never figure out. Then there'r the diplomacy... which from the looks of it you can do nothing about until the other faction offers you something. Other than declare war. You can declare war just because the other faction is there.

I started off originally as the Amoeba who are a long lived, peaceful scientific race... but I soon switched to the evil warrior feathered flying dinosaur Hissho (pronounced Hee-show) after my uh, habit of blowing up any and every ship of anyone who came even close to my borders upset the Amoeba colonists. That was a bit more fun, for a while. A short while.

I'm half hoping that there will be some sort of Faction specific storyline to do with the Endless artifacts that are scattered around, or even just one about the Endless, but I doubt it. There's no campaign.