Yup, just don't want the forums to gather too much dust again XP

TheDarkPsycho
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Level 9
Level 9

About forum activities nowadays...

Post by TheDarkPsycho » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:06 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Borg12345</dt><dd>Sep 21 2015, 12:20 PM</dd></dl><div>Fights are very tricky, you want them to feel exciting and interesting, but at the same time they DO take a lot of time to play out. Unfortunately I think that's just the nature of forum RPing, if a fight breaks out then all involved may need to agree to post a minimum number of times per day or agree to defuse the fight somehow.

That or possibly have a small "system" for fights; run them in rounds. Per "round", everyone sends the person running the thread their actions, the thread runner compiles them together in a single coherent post, then after everyone sees the result of that a new "round" begins and the whole process starts anew. That might make fights quicker, maybe? It would be letting someone write what the character was doing, abet under their instruction, and thus the fight is out of your hands, but I personally would prefer that.

Just an idea.

EDIT: I realise it's more gamey as well, which I know some members really wanted to avoid, and I totally understand that. It's forum RP, not D&D. :P[/quote]ACTUALLY....

Blackstar had a custom made modification I called Usable Items - which was supposed to interface with the shopping, crafting, and currency system I put in place on blackstar.

The idea was that the admin put into the system items that could be used, as well as their hit action, miss action, and a percentage of each happening. When used via some options at the bottom of the post page, it would randomly choose which action happened based on the item's settings, and add that as a post following the post you just made. This took the hit-or-miss element out of the RP'ers hands and made things a little more fair. You did not have to use it, and were free to just RP normally, but it did add an element.

I also added the ability to have people be able to craft unique items for sale, which the crafting of which required some special ingredient only they could have, as well as Relics which were unbreakable and unique to the user. Unique weapons would qualify, as well as the famous Blackstar Relics (obviously).

I unfortunately don't have the code I wrote for that anymore, and even if I did, this forum uses a different software, and even if I was familiar with the software, I need direct access to the files and database to implement - so all said, it's not coming to Pax.
Have you put it in the library yet?
The Great Library of Pax

TheDarkPsycho
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Level 9
Level 9

Post by TheDarkPsycho » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:12 pm

As for daily posting limits: I'm obviously against them. Look, I'm a full time System Administrator for a large company. I work a MINIMUM of forty hours, and honestly, many weeks work in excess of that (which thanks to the U.S.'s antiquated Salary laws, is uncompensated). And then I go home, and work Administrating the Minecraft Server - itself at least a part-time job. After that, I need to cook and do what chores are mine to do...and somewhere in there I'd like to actually spend some time with my Fiance.

So, simply put, I'm not sure I can commit to posting once a day. Once a week, sure.

I've always felt if we were to have a minimum activity requirement, it should be on a timescale of months. Like, "No activity within six months, you're gone". In fact, I have it automated that if you do not log into the MC Server at least once every two months, it will automatically remove you from the whitelist.

Just my two cents as an Admin....

~DP

Edit: I am fully aware that before today, if we had the six months rule I'd have been out. I still think that's the most fair wait to handle this
Last edited by TheDarkPsycho on Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you put it in the library yet?
The Great Library of Pax

Borg12345
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Borg12345 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:48 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>TheDarkPsycho</dt><dd>Sep 22 2015, 09:06 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Borg12345</dt><dd>Sep 21 2015, 12:20 PM</dd></dl><div>Fights are very tricky, you want them to feel exciting and interesting, but at the same time they DO take a lot of time to play out. Unfortunately I think that's just the nature of forum RPing, if a fight breaks out then all involved may need to agree to post a minimum number of times per day or agree to defuse the fight somehow.

That or possibly have a small "system" for fights; run them in rounds. Per "round", everyone sends the person running the thread their actions, the thread runner compiles them together in a single coherent post, then after everyone sees the result of that a new "round" begins and the whole process starts anew. That might make fights quicker, maybe? It would be letting someone write what the character was doing, abet under their instruction, and thus the fight is out of your hands, but I personally would prefer that.

Just an idea.

EDIT: I realise it's more gamey as well, which I know some members really wanted to avoid, and I totally understand that. It's forum RP, not D&D. :P[/quote]ACTUALLY....

Blackstar had a custom made modification I called Usable Items - which was supposed to interface with the shopping, crafting, and currency system I put in place on blackstar.

The idea was that the admin put into the system items that could be used, as well as their hit action, miss action, and a percentage of each happening. When used via some options at the bottom of the post page, it would randomly choose which action happened based on the item's settings, and add that as a post following the post you just made. This took the hit-or-miss element out of the RP'ers hands and made things a little more fair. You did not have to use it, and were free to just RP normally, but it did add an element.

I also added the ability to have people be able to craft unique items for sale, which the crafting of which required some special ingredient only they could have, as well as Relics which were unbreakable and unique to the user. Unique weapons would qualify, as well as the famous Blackstar Relics (obviously).

I unfortunately don't have the code I wrote for that anymore, and even if I did, this forum uses a different software, and even if I was familiar with the software, I need direct access to the files and database to implement - so all said, it's not coming to Pax.[/quote]I really liked the idea of that, I was always a bit sad that I never got to stick my teeth into it.

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DP</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>ACTUALLY....

Blackstar had a custom made modification I called Usable Items - which was supposed to interface with the shopping, crafting, and currency system I put in place on blackstar.[/quote]
I really miss that part of BSD. It was a lot of fun playing around with the economy, figuring out recipes and using items on each other (usually entirely out of an RP context :P) Having items relating to particular characters was the icing on the cake imo B-)

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DP</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>As for daily posting limits: I'm obviously against them.[/quote]
As one of the worst lurkers you have around here, I'm even more obviously against it&#33; I tried to get involved in the Pax Instant thing the last time I was active, but living 10 hours in the future compared to most of you made it pretty much impossible to be online at the same time as the rest of you.

I might be woefully inactive but I do like to be able to check in on you all every now and then :unsure:

Jent
Librarian of Pax
Librarian of Pax
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Jent » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:27 am

The thought you are still around is nice in itself, 3kul. :)

3kul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by 3kul » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:33 am

Not often you get to say that to somebody who may be secretly watching you online at any given point in time&#33; ;)

Thanks Jent, I do appreciate the sentiment :)

BoltAscendent
Evil Council Headmaster
Evil Council Headmaster
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoltAscendent » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:38 am

I'd all but guarantee SOMEONE's on most of the time. I spend a lot of time up at night in my local time, and much of it is when everyone else is done. Now, Monday and Wednesday, I do have classes, running 13-20 EST with a thirty minute period blocked off to get there, so I normally leave a bit earlier and sometimes am back later. Still, if nothing else, I'm up in this big open gap filling in where others aren't. So, hey, don't worry about it. We all got our times.
My life is just a long series of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" strung together.